Gluten Free Migas Recipe by Carol Kicinski
- 4 tablespoons grapeseed or vegetable oil, divided use
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter or dairy free butter, divide use
- 4 gluten free corn tortillas
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded, deveined, and chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded, deveined, and minced
- 4 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 12 large cage free pastured eggs
- ¼ cup half and half, milk, or dairy free milk
- Kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup cotija, monterey jack, or dairy free cheese – grated
- ½ cup cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil and 3 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cut each tortilla into six pieces (wedges) and add, in batches, to the hot oil. Fry until crispy and golden brown, about 2 minutes. Remove the pieces to a paper towel lined plate to drain.
- Wipe out the pan, add the remaining tablespoon of oil and butter and melt. Add the onion, bells peppers, and jalapeno, season with a good pinch of salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 4 minutes. Add the tomatoes and reserved tortillas and cook for another minute. Reduce the heat to low.
- Whisk the eggs with the half and half and another big pinch of salt and pepper. Stir the eggs and cheese into the vegetables and let cook gently, stirring occasionally, until the eggs are just set. Stir in most of the cilantro and remove from the heat.
- Serve immediately garnished with the rest of the cilantro.