Creamy (Dairy-Free) Tomato Soup by Jules
- 2 tablespoons oil or cooking fat of choice
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and coarsely chopped
- One 28-ounce can crushed, diced or whole peeled tomatoes (San Marzano or home canned are best!)
- 11?2 cups chicken stock (use vegetable stock if making vegetarian)
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil, plus 1 tablespoon for garnishing
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- In a large Dutch oven or soup pot that is already hot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions, and sauté until just about translucent, about 4 minutes. Stir in the garlic and sauté for 1 minute more.
- Mix in the remaining ingredients, and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
- Carefully pour a cup or two of the soup mixture into a blender (until it is only halfway full) and puree until smooth. Remove to a separate soup pot or container, and repeat with the remaining soup mixture, working in batches. Alternatively, you can use an immersion blender to puree the soup mixture.
- Serve hot, topped with some minced basil for garnish.